Sunday, March 1, 2009

Wikipedia, Fact or Fiction?

Well, after reading articles that question the integrity of Wikipedia my overall opinion is..believe very little of what you read at this site. Whenever you go to a search engine and type in that key word you're looking for, the majority of the time the number one response back is an article from Wikipedia about whatever you searched. Convenient, yes; factual, who knows really. It's a well known fact that anybody can edit information on Wikipedia, but you would expect the edits to be done to correct the information, not embellish or flat out lie. Really, there is no way to tell if the information you receive from the site is true or not, because honestly you have no idea where that information even came from.

Time and time again, in high school and college, I've been told by my professors when preparing to write a paper, "Wikipedia is not an acceptable reference". I have to say, I completely agree. Honestly in the past years I've never really done much with the site, but lately the more rushed time gets if I just want quick information that has been where I've gone. I have to say now though, that will not be happening much because how am I supposed to know if what I'm reading is true? Yes, at times the open edit feature may be valuable, but when major companies start trying to cover up or enhance their image, how valuable can it really be?

No comments:

Post a Comment