Sunday, March 29, 2009

iTunes U Video Podcasts..

I recently watched a video podcast on iTunesU which was provided by WGBH. The video was in the K-5 category (along my lines since I'm an elementary education major). It was titled "What Is a Planet?" and was actually very, very informative. It talked about two, now categorized as dwarf planets, but possible planets that were located in 2005. It then went on to discuss the actual characteristics of a real planet and explained the reasons behind Pluto and those other two discovered being labeled now dwarf planets. It was cool because I didn't understand at all why Pluto was no longer a planet but now I know it's actually because for one, if Pluto were as close to the sun as Earth is then part of it would melt and it would form a tale (which is what a comet does) and two, because it can't clear the area around it and planets should be able to do that. So that was the video podcast that I watched.

I think video podcasts could be useful to me and others as teachers for the very reason that I liked it so much, I did not know that information. A teacher should always be learning and this is the perfect way to do it. I got some interesting and possibly useful information from a video that was completely free and very easily accessed! Also, I think it could be a good tool used in the classroom as well. It would be easy to pull these videos up on the computer and then allow your class to watch them. It can be related to the lesson or maybe just some interesting information that you might think the children would enjoy. I know that when I was in elementary school things such as the planets were really interesting to me and if something such as Pluto no longer being classified as a planet occurred when I was in school it would interest me to know why.

Another reason I think it would be useful to have videos such as these for a teacher is also something I mentioned in the previous paragraph. They are accessed very easily! You do not have to buy them, you do not have to go searching a store or stores for them. They are right there on your computer & and internet just waiting to be downloaded and used. You really can't beat that as a teacher. Teachers are always looking for extra tools to use in the classroom and these videos on iTunesU would be a great tool and would really interest the students! I know that when I become a teacher I am really looking forward to using tools such as these in the classroom. They're convenient and interesting..what more could you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment