Sunday, March 1, 2009

Electronic Portfolio Idea from Dr. Christie

After looking at Dr. Christie's site, I was really impressed with all of the research and projects she has done in and out of the classroom. The idea that I really liked was the electronic portfolio. The first thought that came to mind when I saw that topic was Foliotek, but after reading information on it I realized it was nothing like Foliotek. It can be such a more inventive and telling idea. Having your students have an electronic portfolio could up so many doors to them, not only with learning but with learning new ways to express themselves also.

A major tool that is commonly used in the classroom is a journal. The way I see the electronic portfolio is sort of just an electronic journal. No, it may not be organized into little paragraphs or stories; but it's artifacts that the students created that tell something about them. Plus, these kinds of portfolios can be used for a range of ages; it doesn't just have to be college students. I think children even in elementary school could make something along these lines. For them, I think I would structure it more into a project that went on over a significant amount of time, with areas and times designated to add to it. The thing is, most children in elementary schools can work a computer better than a lot of adults. Give a child a computer and there imagination and thought process can go in so many different ways. I just really liked this idea. It's open for interpretation, yet at the same time it can be a clear-cut project. I would definitely consider implementing this in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment