Sunday, March 8, 2009

iTunes U..

The Apple site states, "iTunes U, part of the iTunes Store, is possibly the world’s greatest collection of free educational media available to students, teachers, and lifelong learners." I think this is a very good summary of what iTunes U is all about. For those that don't know, the U stands for Univerisity, so it's really iTunes University. iTunes U contains podcasts from different university's all over which include a lot of actual lectures from the courses. There are also podcasts just pertaining to education, such as how-tos and presenting different educational topics. The Apple site also states that "with over 100,000 educational audio and video files available, iTunes U* has quickly become the engine for the mobile learning movement."

I personally think that iTunes U can be a very useful tool to me and many others as both a student and a future educator. As a student it contains tools such as college lectures
(yes, I do listen to my lectures when I go to class); but the added information is always useful. There are also large amounts of information out there that have to do with being an educator that I needed to be learning about while still in school myself. Things such as the different forms of technology being used in the classrooms and different teaching methods need to be learned now instead of later.

When I do become a teacher I still believe that I will be referring to iTunes U to learn even more information. There are so many podcasts on there that are there specifically to help current teachers. Teaching methods and tools are things that can always be improved upon and there are podcasts to help teachers do this. Also, technology issues, there is always something that you may not know how to use or just need help getting started, and there are podcasts for that also. There are just so many uses for iTunes U, and I really do think that as a student and when I am a teacher I will be using this site to improve my methods and continue learning new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment