Sunday, April 26, 2009

Twitter

I've had a lot of different feelings about Twitter since we started working on it in EDM. At first I thought it was basically Facebook but without all of the interesting stuff. I mean all it is is basically updating your status and finding friends, or followers as they are known on Twitter. As I kept working with Twitter though I did start to find the advantages. Advantages were things such as finding networking opportunities all over the world, and also getting quick updates for things such as the news. That was one thing I really liked. I'm following FoxNews and they have so many updates everyday and you can quickly see any important headlines.

As far as learning about Twitter. I think I learned about it by basically using it. I haven't updated it that often, but I do not update Facebook or anything else very often either. I do read many of the tweets of my followers and those I'm following pretty much everyday though. I do send direct messages and receive them every once in a while too. I've also been reading different articles about Twitter. Most were discussing the uses of Twitter and discussing whether Twitter is better or as good as the other social-networking sites. Most sites agree that understanding and seeing the purpose of Twitter really just comes with use. If you don't try then it's likely you won't see the point.

As far as Twitter being useful, I can see some use professionally. I could really see it being useful as a future teacher. One thing is the networking and information possibilities. By following and getting tweets from all over you see different points of views and gain all kinds of different information from links posted by others. Also, it can be used within the classroom. Students and parents can look at the tweets you post and get information about what's going on in the classroom. I think if you try to keep your classroom updated and move forward with the new technology that things such as Twitter can be very useful. I also think these things should be kept in check though and should be used strcitly for learning. Twitter has grown on me over the past few weeks. I'm not sure how much I'll keep up with it, I do plan on using it though. It's hard with all of the social-networking sites out there to keep up with everyone, but I can see where Twitter is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment